Below are the steps for marking an item or items as backordered in a Spending Record.
1) Identify Backordered item
First thing you will want to do is review the invoice from the vendor with the Spending Details, so you can catch any backordered items:
When you first receive an invoice from the vendor, take a moment to review the line items and compare with the Spending Details on the related Spending Record. At this stage in the process, the Spending record status should be "Ordered (Need to Attach Invoice)".
If you find that an item is missing from the invoice, you should reach out to the vendor to see if the item is backordered. Some vendors (like Kaplan and Lakeshore) will note on the invoice if an item is backordered. If it turns out the item is in fact backordered, you must update the related Spending Detail as "Backordered" so that you can separately process the invoices.
2) Mark the item/s as Backordered
- Click on the Spending Tab and look up the Spending Record using the Purchase Order number on the invoice:
- You can also click on the Spending Tab and Filter to find the information you are looking for! For more Tips and Trick for Filtering click HERE!
- Click on the Name of the Spending Record you would like to open.
- Scroll down to the Spending Details Subpanel and find the item that you would like to mark as Backordered
- Click on the Spending Detail record name
- Select Create a new Backordered Spending record for this item as "Yes"
3) Click Save - You will notice that the record is now associated with a NEW Spending Record that is notated as "Backordered-1" Spending Record:
*Once you have done that a backordered Spending Request is created with that Spending Detail attached and the Item is removed from the original Spending Request.
4) Click on the link to the new Spending Record to see the Backordered record (the status will be "Backordered" until you receive the invoice or cancel the item).
- If the Backordered item is NOT guaranteed to arrive before the end of the fiscal year, you should Cancel the Backordered Spending Record and notify the vendor directly.
- Once the Backordered item is shipped, the vendor will generate a new invoice for you, and you can process the Spending record by selecting "Documentation Attached & Send to Finance for Approval" finance approval" action from the "What Would you like to do? Select from the Available Actions" Drop down:
**Please note: If there is more than one item backordered on a Spending Record, you will need to complete this process for each item (you can update the quantity of each item as needed).