Identify Key Roles & People - Steps Your Council Must Take for QI Spending
There are a number of key roles that define Council relationships and data relationships. The key roles that affect QI Spending are QI Navigator, Lead Coach, Coach, Grant Lead, and Financial Contact. : The same person can be identified as the QI Nav, Coach, Program Manager, Primary Contact, and Financial Contact, however it is strongly recommended that you have at least one different person provide approvals for internal control purposes (separation of duties). Just like in real life, in Sugar, a single Contact can take on many roles - so it is important to not have duplicate Contact records.
The Council employee uses these reports to identify roles and assign relationships.
Identify and Assign Roles and Contacts before QI SpendingBefore a provider can Spend QI dollars or benefit from Council Coaching, the Council staff person (usually the QI Navigator) prepares records in Sugar to ensure the necessary permissions, workflows and notifications work properly. For each provider that will be receiving services, the Navigator will assign a Navigator, assign a Lead Coach, assign Coaching Requisitions, verify information in the Council's Account record, and verify Council roles in each Funding Stream.
Verify your Council Account Record
- Click on the Accounts module.
- On the filter line, type in the name of your Council.
- In the Name column, click on your Council name.
- Verify that all information on your Council profile is complete and accurate.
- Scroll to the Addresses panel.
- Update/Verify the ‘Billing Address(QRIS)’ field. This is the billing address for QI Spending Direct to a Vendor.
- Scroll to the Key Contacts panel.
- Update/Verify Primary Contact: This is usually the Council Coordinator. This is the person authorized to sign QI Program MOUs and who will be asked to approve individual spending requests of $2500 or more (in addition to a Grant Lead pre-approval).
- Verify Financial Contact: This is usually the person responsible for entering Accounts Payable into your accounting system. This is the last layer of approvals before the QI Spending records are marked as "Approved and Ready for Export”
- Click Save.
Verify Navigator or Coach Contact InformationBefore assigning a Navigator or Coach to Provider Accounts, make sure all of the Contact information is correct.
- Click on the Contacts module.
- On the filter line, type in the name of the Navigator or Coach.
- In the Name column click on the Navigator name to open the Contact record.
- On the Overview tab, type or edit any information necessary. The most important field for notifications is the Email field.
- Click on the Admin Only tab.
- Verify that the Sugar User field is the correct name. If it is incorrect or empty, click on the field name and begin typing in the Sugar user name.
- When the name appears, click on the link.
- Verify that the Contact is also assigned to the correct Teams (Council). Click on the Teams link and if necessary, and add the Council.
- Click Save.
- If you'd like the QI Spending PO # to include a QI Navigator number (this happens very rarely), click on the QI Navigator's Sugar User link (their name), and then enter a QI Navigator number on the user's profile.
Note: Beginning in July of 2017, many Coaches may not have a Sugar account and will input records through the ecConnect portal and so steps 6 and 7 may not be necessary for Coaches.
Assign a Navigator to Each Provider
Overview: Assigning a Navigator can be done by the Navigator him/herself. Using the report titled #! All Accounts with Level, QI Nav, and Coach, the Navigator searches for accounts that are not assigned, opens their record in Sugar, and assigns either him/herself (or another designated Council staff member). Using the Sugar report ensures that all sites Participating in a QI Grant Program are accounted for and that workflows will function properly. The procedure also allows the Navigator to locate and merge duplicate Contacts records.
- Click on the link: #! All Accounts with Level, QI Nav, and Coach.
- If desired, click the QI Navigator column header of the report to sort the results.
- If an Account record does not have QI Navigator, click its link in the Account column so you can edit it (this will open a new tab).
- In the Account record, scroll down to the Council Assignments panel.
- Click on the QI Navigator field.
- Begin typing the name of the Navigator you wish to assign to the Account record.
When the name populates, select the Navigator's name.
Note: If the Navigator's name is duplicated, make sure to send a ticket to firstname.lastname@example.org to merge the duplicate.
- Make sure the correct email appears in the QI Navigator Email field. If it does not, use the steps in the Verify Navigator or Coach Contact Information procedure above.
- Click Save.
- Close the Contact window and you will return to the report with all of the accounts. Repeat these steps for each account that needs a QI Navigator.
Assign a Coach to Each Provider
Overview: Assigning a Lead Coach to each Provider can also be done by the Navigator with the same general steps done for the Navigator with a couple of differences.
The procedure for the Coach is the same as the QI Navigator above with the following exceptions:
- In step 2, click on the Lead Coach column header of the report.
- In step 5, click in the Primary Lead Coach field.
Assign Coaching Requisitions to a Coach Responsible for Performing the Coaching Hours
Overview: Each new coaching requisition defaults to the Lead Coach for that provider. Unlike the QI Navigator, the Lead Coach does not overwrite existing coaching requisitions because a Provider could have more than one coach. To verify that the correct coach is assigned to each coaching requisition, do the following. Coaching logs should be entered by the coach that does the coaching.
Coaching Requisition Coach Assignment Procedure
- Click on the link: #! Coaching Requisitions with Assigned Coach by Funding Stream.
- Click on the link under the Requisition column any Coaching Requisitions records that do not have the correct coach assigned.
- Scroll down to the Key Contacts panel.
- Click in the Assigned To field.
Begin typing the name of the Coaches name you wish to assign to the Requisition record.
When the name populates, select the Coach's name. In the figure above below, Rick Winter is the Coach.
Note: If the Coach's name is duplicated, make sure to send a ticket to email@example.com to merge the duplicate.
Check your Assignments for each QI Funding Stream
Overview: The Grant Lead serves as the Council’s primary contact for the grant and pre-approves QI Spending Requests. The old name of the field was Program Manager. The Program Officer is the name of the manager from the funder (e.g. OEC) side.
Funding Stream Key Roles Assignment Procedure
- Click on the link: #! QC Funding Streams with Program Manager.
- Click on the Funding Stream Name link
- When the Funding Stream record opens, scroll down to the Key Contacts panel.
- Click on the Grant Lead (previously Program Manager) field.
- Begin typing the name of the Grant Lead name you wish to assign to the Funding Stream record.
- When the name populates, select the Grant Lead’s name.
- Repeat steps 4-6 for the Program Officer (funder manager) field.
- Click Save.